Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reflections

2008, you were a year. That, by any means, is the truth.

I think what most stands out about the recently passed year was its being a year of settling and coming into my own. It was the first year of my 100% legal (and nearly all financial [I think the only real exception is the cell phone my parents pay for]) independence. Way back in 2007 I was still a student for the first half of the year and then spent the second half pretty much doing nothing with my new life.

When I made my somewhat ridiculous list of 'resolutions' on the eve of 2007 part of it was out of the need to fill my life with something, anything. I wasn't joking when I say I was doing nothing in the fall of 2007. I went to work, I came home. Repeat.

But even then I was on the edge of new things. TRM and I had started dating in December of 07. We were together through June of 2008. That was my first adult relationship. And as bitter as I was from the breakup I'm really very thankful for the growth and learning that the experience provided me. Plus all in all he was and is a great guy, albeit not the perfect one for me.
In June I was handed the experience of going to a big national conference for the arts. It was great to see so many ideas and new things presented. Plus just the ability to almost (although not quite) go off on a trip on my own. Not to mention that it was done on the company dime.

2008 saw the beginning of my new obsession, biking. I blame Jo for it’s origins, but I’ve definitely taken it to a farther level than her now. It all started with the $30 yard sale bike. I logged somewhere around 800 miles I figure. I’d be half tempted to say the best $30 I spent all year. Although unfortunately the obsession did spur additional spending. My bike gear now abounds. Plus I went way out on a limb and made the $800 purchase of my new beauty. I didn’t even budget for it. In the end however I can afford it. Plus I’m pretty sure it’s totally worth it. I got a ridiculously good deal. My $30 bike was a $30 bike, and it was too big for me. Orange (as I have spontaneously decided to call my new bike) actually fits me and cause me to do less damage to my body. And over all the whole bike riding this is incredibly beneficial to my heath and well being. Plus I’m somewhat determined to, once the weather hits spring, use it instead of my car whenever possible.

In conjunction with the bike obsession I participated in two pretty serious rides. First I rode a ridiculously hot and way too hilly 100 miles. Then later a sweet and speedy flat 150 across NJ. I’d definitely say that those are my accomplishments of the year.

And those are the things that stand out to me when I think back upon my year.

0 comments: