Thursday, January 29, 2009

The quietest and most constant of friends.

I am behind on my book reviews. And I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading. I’ve fallen into a very nice pattern of going to the library every two weeks (that’s the length of their check out period with no renewals) where I pick up 2 books and 4 or 5 CD’s. It’s pretty sweet. And now I’m wondering if I might be able to keep up this book a week trend all year. It would make me feel accomplished.

Library trip 1 (most likely on December 29)
The curious incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – While it’s accuracy has been called into question the story is told from such an interesting perspective/mind set that I’d definitely recommend the book.

Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, Book 1) – A fairly new fantasy series set in an asian world/mentality. Amusing but nothing special.

Dvorak: Symphony #9, Serenade for Winds: Eugene Ormandy; London Symphony Orchestra – Recently I’ve begun collecting Dvorak 9 (its quite possibly my favorite) and while the recording quality left me wanting more at first I soon got over it and realized how amazingly balanced this recording was. Spectacular.

Bernstein Symphony No. 3, Chichester Psalms – I’m a big Berstein fan but just didn’t take the time to really listen to this one. The whole choir/symphony thing makes me a bit standoffish.

Under The Corkwood Tree: Fall Out Boy – They’re just a fun group. I didn’t realize this album contained so many singles.

Library trip 2, 1/12
Children of Dune (interlibrary loan) – I have now completed the full original Dune trilogy – yay! CoD was definitely back to the amazingly amazing quality of the first. The second is definitely the weak link.

Dancing on my Grave, an autobiography of Gelsey Kirkland – If you’re not at least familiar with dance/ballet I would not recommend this book. However if you are and have an interest I definitely recommend it. Her story is crazy and it’s fascinating to be able to see ‘behind the scenes’.
Harry Potter And The Order of the Phoenix: Nicholas Hooper – Quite different than the other Harry Potter movie music. It’s not nearly as catchy which I easily attribute to the heavily lesser use of themes and motifs. But most certainly some great music. Also interesting to note is that the tracks are not arranged chronologically based on the movie (as most movie score music is) but rather arranged to form its own cohesive album.

Mahler Symphony # 6 – I totally was aiming for 3 or 4. How did I end up with 6? I’ve not listened to it yet.

Why Should the Fire Die?: Nickel Creek – This is my newest and best recent music find. Its this awesome folky but not just folk music. The harmonies are rich and complex. No two songs are so alike, yet they still have an overall sound. Multiple vocalists are featured and there are also instrumental tracks. A definite must listen.


Library trip 3, 1/26
Kite Runner – A poinent and phenomenal story of love loss and honor in a society we have heard about but rarely comprehend. Chances are you’ve heard it recommended else where or have already read it. There’s a reason for this I now see.

Holding onto the Air: Suzanne Farrell autobiography – TBA (I’m on page 20 or something).
Schindler’s List: Itzhak Perlman, John Williams – One of my new most favorite movie scores. I already knew the main theme but seeing how that is carried through the whole score is amazing. John Williams is less one sided than some of his other block busters indicate. And Perlman shows you why he is a classical music superstar and other musicians are mere mortals.

Superman: The Movie: John Williams – We played one of the songs in marching band. I am a marching band geek. Rock on.

Rutter: Gloria: Choir of King’s College – We sang Rutter’s Gloria in college choir. This choir does it a million times better. *oh that’s what it’s supposed to sound like*. And the treble parts are sung by boys. Unfair.


“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”

0 comments: