Monday, September 1, 2008

Dune

8/30/08 11:33

I actually read this Frank Herbert Masterpiece quite a while ago (and or 2-3 weeks). I loved it! I guess there is a reason stuff becomes 'classic.' And given as I love to read fantasy, and I consider sci-fi to be an extension of Fantasy, and I consider Dune to be a sci-fi/fantasy classic. When I noticed it as I was browsing the shelves of the library some 7 weeks ago in the absence of Atlas Shrugged I figured I ought to read it. How is that for a run-on thought.

At first Dune is fairly difficult. Herbert does not give the reader any nice little easing into the world. No, instead there is a glossary of terms for introduction. I tried to read it first. But with out context it was rather pointless. So I just started reading. And at first I would look up the foreign terms, but after a bit I stopped even that. And really it's all that better this way. You just let the foreign newness wash over you. and you can delight in this amazing new place you are learning about.

The prose is also different. Maybe because it is older literature, which often seems awkward on our toungs. But I like to think of it more as an extension of such lengths to the new universe created.

There are sequels, I love me a good series. I have book 2 up with me this weekend and shall start it tomorrow. Yay.

0 comments: