Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Every once in a while.

One of my good friends families has a small herd of alpacas as pets. They keep all of the wool from shearing and at some point found someone to spin the first years fleece into yarn. Her mom really wanted to have something made from the yarn but doesn't knit and it didn't occur to anyone that I knit until recently it seems. So I have been working on a scarf for her. It's currently at about 8 inches. The pattern she choose is rather small so I'm hoping to make it extra long.

More importantly this exercise has instilled within me a desire to learn to spin yarn. Supposedly they have each years shearing up in their attic. And have I ever been able to resist a new craft?

If only crafts were less expensive I would be much more happy.

From e-bay I procured a set of carders that I'm really just hoping will work. And after much research and holding off I finally actually put in the order for this drop spindle kit. I can't wait for it to come so that I can actually stop the drooling over online video and instructions and actually try it for myself.

Let us just hope I don't fail spectacularly. That would be sad.

In other news I am working diligently towards a way to make popcorn in the microwave. The hitch being that this is not those silly microwave bags. Now you may be saying "put the kernals in a paper bag, close it, and microwave. But you see I have no paper bags. Improvisation was required.

Attempt one:
Idea:Kernels in one of our Tupperware containers with the lid not fully attached so as to serve as a vent.
Observation: somewhat soggy popcorn and over cooked popcorn, and when I got to the bottom of the bowl I discovered some unpopped kernels imbedded in the plastic, there were also some melt holes. Oops.
Result: Failure.

Attempt two:
Idea: Kernels in a glass bowl with a paper towel rubber banded on top.
Research: Are rubberbands microwave safe? Do they give off anything toxic? Findings were inconclusive.
Observation: Popcorn seemed overcooked and yet some kernels still unpopped.
Result: Failure of less epic proportions. Oh and I don't seem to be dead from any toxic fumes or anything either. Although I think my applesauce at lunch today (homemade and canned) may have given me a bit of food poisoning. I suppose that is another story.


Lastly today at band (which is still driving me completely nuts with its awfulness yet I still go nevertheless) some new kid showed up like 20 minutes into rehearsal. Normally this would not merit comment however he bore remarkable resemblance to my first boyfriend. Although not quite a tall and lanky he could have been A squashed down a bit so as to be a bit more plump and also seemed a bit less socially awkward (no offense intended, I have nothing against you [finally - yea I know I'm pathetic], but it is true at least from when I knew you well).


"Every once in a while, someone will mail me a single popcorn kernel that didn't pop. I'll get out a fresh kernel, tape it to a piece of paper and mail it back to them."

0 comments: