Monday, August 11, 2008

Mamma Mia, here I go again

My my, how can I resist you?


It all started a few weeks ago. For some unknown reason some company sent the symphony free passes to a pre-release screening of Mamma Mia. I was speculative and had dance class right before so ended up not going, but Rodger went and said it was good. Plus I had asked Jo about it so I piqued her interest.

Occasionally it would come up that she still wanted to go. And being as I am a dork and like musicals in most any form now I was up for it. This past Saturday was chosen as the date and off we went (as a part of a crazy busy day I might add).

I really wasn’t expecting this but….I totally loved it!

“See that girl! Watch that scene! If you change your mind, I’m the first in line. Mamma Mia, here I go again.”

I have been rather cheerfully singing the songs in my head ever since. Damn catchy they are.

Now practically speaking it is not technically a very good movie. The plot is thin and has some pretty serious holes, some of the singing is a bit questionable, the music doesn’t always quite work to add to the plot, and the cinematography, reviews tell me, isn’t quite up to par. But the movie is still just so much fun that I didn’t care at all about any of those things.

During the credits they had these extra songs. And Jo made some comment about how she couldn’t believe the accesses would do that. After all Meryl Streep is in this and she is a damn good actress. Why should she be playing the fool. The music is pretty durn ridiculous and the costumes were 20 times worse. But I just said to Jo because look at how fun that would be.

To have the freedom to just get up and be as wild and crazy and out there as you want. To make a complete fool out of yourself and it be ok. I wish I could do that.


This was probably my favorite song, although for a very different reason. This just had passion and heart and soul.

I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play

The winner takes it all
The loser standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny

I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking I'd be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules

The gods may throw a dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear

The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
It's simple and it's plain
Why should I complain?

But tell me does she kiss
Like I used to kiss you?
Does it feel the same
When she calls your name?
Somewhere deep inside
You must know I miss you
But what can I say?
Rules must be obeyed

The judges will decide
The likes of me abide
Spectators of the show
Always staying low
The game is on again
A lover or a friend
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all

I don't wanna talk
'Cause it makes me feel sad
And I understand
You've come to shake my hand
I apologize
If it makes you feel bad
Seeing me so tense
No self-confidence
But you see

The winner takes it all
The winner takes it all

The game is on again
A lover or a friend
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all
The winner takes it all.

0 comments: