Thursday, August 14, 2008

Full of fate.

I was randomly trolling through Craigslist, because for some reason this amuses me to no end. When I came across this little gem:


Needless to say I was quite amused. So I obviously looked it up a bit. And pondered a bit. And finally determined that no, I could not do this as a second job. The whole probably need to work during the day and conflict of interest thing posed difficulties given my full time gig.

So that was how I ended up once again (I've done this before) poking around the Hershey Symphony's website and wishing I could be playing in an Orchestra again. Then I found in an outdated list of press releases announcements of what seemed like open auditions in the August months (of 2005 and 2006, but hey).

I got up the nerve to send a simple question "are you holding auditions this year?". Turns out they are holding auditions Thursday 9/21 (aka next Thursday). "Please let me know if you would like to schedule a time as well as what instrument you play."

Hell yes I would like to audition. Please oh please let me in!

I responded with a bit more dignity: "I would be very interested in auditioning if you are accepting flute players. What should be prepared for an audition with the HSO?"

[Wow now I can't believe that I actually typed "HSO". They totally shouldn't go by that acronym being as we are the HSO and we are definately the big fish in this region.]

The old releases say Candidates should be prepared to play a short solo in the recognized orchestral repertoire for their instrument, scales and have an ability to sight read.' but I figured it can't hurt to ask. I was thinking about the possibilities and the music that I have/what I know. Then I was comparing that to the standard flute orchestra repertoire and I was thinking many things such as maybe Prelude to the Afternoon of a Fawn because I know it and worked on it a good bit last year. And Peter and the Wolf is common and awesome, but I've not actually played it so I was looking on you tube just to review over the music. And I found this :



I already know the Debussy and the Prokofiev is damn impressive. Let's hope I can learn it quickly. And that I still know my scales. And that I have tone.

Realistically I am jumping way ahead of things.

First let us hope that they have an open flute position.


"There are no little events in life, those we think of no consequence may be full of fate, and it is at our own risk if we neglect the acquaintances and opportunities that seem to be casually offered, and of small importance."

0 comments: