Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We have to touch people.

Oops no entries for a long time.

Inevitably I suck at blogging. And then my life kind of went and gave me a big slap. So I was depressed too and in general not inclined to do much of anything.

But I was talking to JT a good bit yesterday. In fact it made the second day in a row that I've had a good conversation with one of my awesome friends whom I love. Sweetness. I miss all of my friends tons. I've been feeling a good bit lonely lately.

Anyways JT is awesome we were doing a good bit of reminiscing and commenting on how old we are. And she was writing in her blog like thing more recently and it was awesome to read cuz shes awesome and has a fun writing style as well as awesome mind things going on. I totally miss the ridiculous out there conversations with the Penguins.

Anyways again I gave JT this link so now I may actually have a reader! How exciting is that. Plus she already has an acronym. This is good.

In other news my parents are ridiculous and I love them. Most recently father is acting like I'm the long lost child that he desperately wants to see or something. Mother said they're having a bit of empty nest syndrome. Well maybe they should not be constructing my room into the den for their new massive master bedroom. *rolls eyes*. Silly silly parents.

My biking abilities are improving. I did 40 miles on the 5th, 44 on the 13th, and 25 on the 21st. I'm still ungodly slow (max average speed of 12.1). But I think I'll be able to survive MS ride #1 which is this weekend. Wish me luck.

Tomorrow I'm breaking out of work. I'm going home will see both parents. Then I'm picking up Grandma and we'll go visit Grandpa. It seems like we'll have to visit him in the hospital :-/ But it's totally been way too long since I've visited him. Then we'll be going out to Fairmont park in Philly to see the Philly Orchestra - yay. Berlioz and Beethoven. I think theres even fireworks. The only iffy thing is that I have lawn tickets and like to have a picnic. But I don't see Grandma and the picnic thing working out too well. I'm already worried about how much walking may be involved. And a grass seat is totally a no go. I'm pretty sure that terrace seating is open to lawn ticket holders though. So here's hoping.

Oh and I also am pretty sure that at home after lunch we'll go to the bank and I'll finally get my stuff out of my parents safe deposit box. I don't quite know where I'll keep it yet. But I'll finally know for sure the whole savings bond situation. Yay.


Sorry for the long quote today:

"It's said that science will dehumanize people and turn them into numbers. That's false, tragically false. Look for yourself. This is the concentration camp and crematorium at Auschwitz. This is where people were turned into numbers. Into this pond were flushed the ashes of some four million people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by arrogance, it was done by dogma, it was done by ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods.

Science is a very human form of knowledge. We are always at the brink of the known; we always feel forward for what is to be hoped. Every judgment in science stands on the edge of error and is personal. Science is a tribute to what we can know although we are fallible. In the end, the words were said by Oliver Cromwell: "I beseech you in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken."

I owe it as a scientist to my friend Leo Szilard, I owe it as a human being to the many members of my family who died here, to stand here as a survivor and a witness. We have to cure ourselves of the itch for absolute knowledge and power. We have to close the distance between the push-button order and the human act. We have to touch people."

0 comments: