Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nothing fails like success.

Over yesterday and today I completed a fund raising bike ride for the National MS Society. I raised $215 and rode over 100 miles. And now I'm in a good bit of pain.

Physically it was quite brutal. There were seriously times when I questioned that I'd be able to do it. But I kept going anyways.

The highlight was on day one. There were a lot more people, riders and support, on Saturday. Everyone that I went with ended up dropping out and getting rides back to the start. Although they did go more miles than me in total, I know my limits and this was already pushing it. But anyways I was on my own, which I'm pretty used to.

This however is not the point of my story. Towards the end of the ride when it was just brutally hot and the hills seemed to never end and I was tired and just pretty much had it there was a volunteer with a sign. He was one of the people at a fairly blind intersection telling if it was good to cross the street or not. But he was fairly older and sitting with a sign. I can't quote it directly but it said something like this: My girlfriend has MS and so Thank You so much for everything that you are doing today, you're support means a lot. 3.5 miles left.

Thank you for everything you are doing today. My girlfriend has MS and your support means a lot. 3.5 miles left.
It was his unexpected and kind heartfelt words that got me through those last 3.5 miles. Because really I shouldn't be riding for myself we were riding to support a greater cause.

I literally teared up after that turn.


But it's a new day today and I did it. I got back on that bike despite my hurting sunburned self just wanting to sleep.

I did it but I'm really depressed.

Accomplishment is nothing without recognition. And right now it feels like the only people that I would want to care are no where to be found.

I rode over 100 miles. I am amazing. But my boyfriend broke up with me two weeks ago and I cannot get over it.

I can't accomplish the things that I really really want and that would really really matter for my own life.

I fail.


"Nothing fails like success.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate it. My great-uncle died in a wheelchair from MS. My father used to do the MS150, and recently discovered he has mild MS. And riding 100+ miles is a very impressive feat. Congradulations

I think success only fails if the reward was not what you were expecting.

What reward do you want from life?

Carlin said...

I've been meaning to respond with an entry. So I should get on that.

Jen said...

it made me tear up too just now.