Thursday, March 20, 2008

Re-motivated.

Ooops, I suck at this. Luckily for you, my non existent readers, I have been re-inspired.

And for my first bought of re-inspiration an bit of an update on how things stand in Carlin-land. (Wow that was dorky)

Resolutions updates:
1. Finances:
Open Roth IRA(s)- save for retirement and house
I just did this last night. My productivity level last night was way up which is a lot of the motivation for the re-inspiration. But it's incredibly exciting. I opened my accounts with T. Rowe Price because they have no minimums if you enroll for automatic $50 monthly transfers. And being as that was how much I was going to be investing every mouth it was perfect. I also enjoyed how there was a nice little calculator that told me that if I invested $50 every month and assume an 8% rate of return I'd have like $145,000 in 50 years or something. Behold the miracle of compound interest. This stuff excites me. (Plus I was listening to and singing along with Disney music while I set it up. I am the biggest dork ever)
Open new checking account
Took care of this one a while ago. I choose to open an account with Charles Schwab Bank. And so far its not amazing or anything, but it is working quite well. And I do love getting interest.
Open new savings account
Opened an account with E*Trade at the same time that I opened the checking account. They were a bit more confusing, but still doable. The rates have also been dropping like stones since I opened it. But hey I still got over $10 in interest on my February balance which was awesome.
Start a vacation fund
Check. Actually I re-vamped my entire budgeting system. I'm making use of envelope budgeting and created my own excel spreadsheet for it. And "Vacation" has its own little column where it is diligently collecting dollars for me. Yay camping!
2. No more cursing
I didn't really curse before, never have. But the used to be new roommates did. So in the fall I felt like I was picking some of it up. I've not noticed it really at all recently however so I think I'm in the clear.
3. Rejuvenate computer
Interestingly enough I've found that I haven't been glued to the computer like I used to be so I don't notice the suck-ness of my old PC as much. I still should work on getting it running better however.
Start saving for new computer
The fact that I'm not using the old PC so much has not stopped the want-new-laptop-virus which I have been infected with. I am obsessed. This is an ongoing thing you see. I was going to get a laptop as a graduation present from Mother and Father. But then my car caught on fire so they put money towards a new car instead. Useful, but I'm much more into computers. So then I just continued to pine after the nice shiny laptops. Then a few months ago the idea was put into my brain that I should just find myself a usable cheap laptop off of Craigslist or something. So Everyday I peruse the listings. I was thinking of spending around $300. But then after a while I came to the conclusion that why spend $300 now for something a little above junk when I could just save three times that and get something incredibly new and shiny. So now I ran everything out through my budget and figure I can buy a computer in August if I save most every penny until then. Still I have some issues with spending so many dollars.
4. Exercise more: at least 4 times a week
Well I've sucked at this one. I almost managed to start running again but I'm so out of shape now it half kills me, and the weather keeps swinging. Hopefully I can get back up to speed now that Spring has begun.
5. Get presents early
I've not done so well at this either. But I've also not had that many occasions that I've needed presents yet.
6. Have more fun. At least two activities a month
I'm really not even much good at this one either. Like I relax and do nothing often enough (although even thats been questionable because of work the past 3 weeks). But so very rarely do I actually like go out and have fun.
7. Listen to entire music library
I downright forgot about this one. I totally need to get on it. Although it would involve spending more time holed up with my computer in my room.
8. Blog at least two times a week
Obviously I was doing ok for a bit but then I totally like fell off track. Oops. Hopefully this re-motivation shall continue.

0 comments: