Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Every new beginning.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose.... The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time....But it was a beginning."

I wanted to try to come up with a really profound and deep meaningful first entry. I wanted to talk about the concept of infinity and its place in my title. As a starting place I looked up the word “infinity”.

in·fin·i·ty (ĭn-fĭn'ĭ-tē) n.

  1. The quality or condition of being infinite.

Now didn’t we all learn way back in elementary school that you are not allowed to define a word with the same word? And ok, so maybe infinity and infinite are not quite the same. But really come on. So I looked up “infinite”

in·fi·nite (in-fuh-nit) n.

  1. Something that is infinite.

Ha! That is definitely cheating. That’s not my point though. I was actually intrigued by the fact that the poor job of defining the term can actually be seen in a different light as a striking example. Because to me infinity is not like some giant endless hole. It’s not how one looks off to the horizon and things seem to grow smaller and smaller going on forever. To me infinity is the idea of everything being connected and existing as one continual sweep. I like to think of infinity as a ring. If you follow the path of the ring what you get is infinity. The path has no bounds, it never ends. So then if you can hypothetically change that ring to become something that is not just two dimensional but instead stretches in the same fashion as that path in all directions forever, you get infinity.

Some of the other definitions actually did a much better job. “Infinity: 3. Unbounded space, time, or quantity.” “Infinite: 1. Having no boundaries or limits.”

Wait a minute then. Who’s bright idea was it to go and try a “flying leap” to this crazy entirely limitless scary dimension? I like things with nice rules and restrictions. Where everything can have its proper place and I know exactly what to do. The paths are straight and narrow and I love them. I’m good at them, spectacular in fact.

But in the end life is not like that. Life is infinite. And that is what this blog is going to be about for me. This is me trying to deal with my existence. Me finding a way through the chaos and learning to fly.

Everything, after all, has to start somewhere.

0 comments: